Senior Web Developer – WordPress
VisionPoint Marketing is a rapidly growing agency, recently ranked in the top 5 best employers in North Carolina. Our clients are higher education institutions of all sizes and missions, from schools like North Carolina State University in Raleigh to UC Santa Barbara on the west coast.
We are seeking a passionate and experienced Senior Web Developer to add to our growing team. As a member of the Web Team, you’ll work with a wide-range of clients and a number of team members including Strategists, Information Architects, Designers, and Project Managers. This position will report to the Director of Web Production.
This role requires the skills to develop large, responsive, frontend website projects as well as full implementation of sites, solutions, and products in WordPress. Daily tasks also include development consulting during all phases of a project, supporting internal initiatives and executing tasks within the developer’s personal growth plan. The Web Developer must be capable of both leading and supporting the development efforts for large website projects.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Build frontend-only websites as well as websites, solutions, and products in WordPress
- Develop and implement landing pages (i.e enrollment marketing pages for higher ed clients), email templates and related web-based solutions.
- Write well-designed, efficient code by using best practices
- Test code for quality, WCAG accessibility and site speed
- Gather and refine client specifications and requirements
- Collaborate with our designers to match visual design intent
- Proactively recognize problems and develop creative solutions from the strategy phase of a project through launch
- Create and maintain technical documentation
- Stay plugged into emerging technologies/industry trends and apply them into VisionPoint’s operations and activities
- Actively participate in agile project management meetings
- Track and identify new opportunities to improve processes
- Assist in strategic sales efforts (including project scoping) from a technical perspective
- Train clients and cross-organizational staff on administering and managing web solutions and products.
- Actively contribute to VisionPoint’s culture
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- A minimum of 4 years experience in web development, preferably in an agency or team setting
- Please provide link to your portfolio, Github, CodePen or any other examples of work
- Knowledge of CSS preprocessors, preferably SASS
- Experience with frontend frameworks such as Bootstrap or Foundation
- Deep experience with WordPress CMS development (i.e. theming and custom module/plugin development) and administration/configuration of CMS core, plugins, and modules.
- Comfortable with version control through Git
- Basic knowledge of Search Engine Optimization process
- Knowledge of WCAG 2.2 accessibility standards
- Aggressive problem diagnosis and creative problem solving skills
- Strong organizational skills to juggle multiple tasks within the constraints of timelines and budgets
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse web technologies and techniques
- Excellent client and team communication skills and demonstrated time management abilities.
- Ability to present facts clearly and concisely in both oral and written form.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate effectively with diverse staff across units and remote environments.
- Ability to work with management at all levels in planning and implementing solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred
- Involvement in WordPress communities or other open-source community
- Ability to integrate data from various back-end services and 3rd party APIs
- Experience with frontend libraries such as React, Vue.js, or Ember
- Experience with Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP (LAMP Stack) and associated command line tools
- Experience with AWS services such as EC2, S3, and RDS.
- Knowledge or experience with agile software development methodology
- An understanding of site speed best practices
- Ability to identify opportunities for reusable code for our code repository and ensure the high quality creation of the code
- A high-level understanding of SEO, social media and online marketing tactics
- Experience using web analytics data to inform decisions
- Ability to grasp client goals and contribute to project strategies and plans
Commensurate with experience.
WHAT WE ARE LIKE AT VISIONPOINT
At VisionPoint, we believe that a strong culture is as much a valued benefit as health insurance, PTO and 401k. That’s why it’s important to us that future team members connect with—and contribute to—our culture. Our communication, collaboration, satisfaction and growth are largely dependent upon whether we all, as individuals, embrace and live out our values. Ultimately, we have a laser focus on knowing, providing solutions for, and advancing higher education because of its transformative power in the world. We believe in the work we do, we support each other, we work hard and we like to have a bit of fun, too. When it comes right down to it, happy and fulfilled team members produce better work, and better work is what drives us every day.