Posted: March 23, 2015
According to Douglas McGregor, the author of The Human Side of Enterprise, a few characteristics of effective teams include an informal, relaxed atmosphere, lots of discussion, members that will listen to each other and that disagreement is viewed as good. For our fun March event, we decided to spend some time relaxing together and getting to know our teammates a little better through an open and honest discussion. We did this by posing questions that required each individual to think carefully and ultimately make a decision.
The list of questions below is in no particular order and is only a sample of the types of things we discussed. The purpose of this exercise was not to come to a consensus on the right answer, but simply to share our thoughts and reasons behind each decision.
- You’ve inherited $100,000. You must either put all of it in a roth IRA, invest in a home or donate 75% and the other 25% is yours to spend as you see fit. What do you do?
- If you could go back to any point in time to talk to one person who is no longer living, who would you choose and why?
- You won an all expenses paid vacation! You can choose between a rafting trip in the Grand Canyon, a skiing trip in Aspen or spending a week exploring a lesser known US city. What trip would you prefer?
- If you had to pick one or the other to give up for the rest of your life, would you choose chocolate or peanut butter?
- If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why?
At the end of the day, there were several disagreements on the best answer to each question (as well as the definition of a superpower). We believe that’s a good thing. Not only did it allow us to build stronger relationships among our team, it also made for a few hilarious hypothetical scenarios. Stay tuned for an update on next month’s #ForcedFunFriday!